OK, you guys. I don’t know about you but I am ALL about seafood.
Fun Fact: I was actually allergic to shellfish my whole childhood and it wasn’t until I was 21 that I actually started eating it. But don’t worry, I am making up for lost time.
This is a great recipe for a quick and easy Friday night dinner. Scallops always seem intimidating but this is super easy and sure to impress dinner guests. One note is to make sure to use Japanese soy sauce over Chinese soy sauce. Yes, there is a difference and yes, you should figure out.
- 11⁄2 pounds scallops
- 2 small sweet bell peppers, any color
- 1/2 red onion
- 1⁄2 cup Japanese soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tbsp peanut oil
- few drops toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger root
- 1⁄2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1 clove finely minced garlic pinch salt pinch black pepper
- Mix all the marinade ingredients and place the scallops in a bowl with the marinade for 20 minutes or shorter. While the scallops are marinating you can also soak 3 or 4 bamboo skewers in water or use metal ones. If you are using bamboo, don't skip this step. Otherwise, you will have a fire on your hands. Push the scallops onto the skewers and alternate with pieces of sweet bell peppers and/or red onions. Place the skewers onto the grill on medium heat and grill for only 2 to 3 minutes per side depending on the size of scallops that you are using.
- I use Kikkoman's soy sauce. It is the best....